diver.net

Guadalupe/Great White-Heads Up

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Baskin on July 13, 2007 at 15:46:12:

This was reprinted from another board I am on Does anyone know anything about this.
From Ron Bernstein on Under water photo board

Yesterday my wife departed San Diego to divemaster a trip on the Horizon that was booked and originally scheduled to go to Guadalupe taking both scuba and free-divers there before too many of the landlords showed up.

However, recently the Mexican government declared Guadalupe a biosphere. Negotiations all last week for a permit for the Horizon to go to Guadalupe failed and the boat is now on its way to Rocas Alijos, three rock pinnacles well out into the Pacific somewhere about due west from Cabo with little or no place to hide in the event of rough seas. This is a considerably longer run from San Diego but Horizon charters, without hesitation agreed to take this trip of divers there at the same price as was charged for Guadalupe. Several weeks ago (mid-June) the Horizon made a planned trip to Rocas Alijos and charged about $800.00 per passenger more because of the increased distance etc. Although the free-divers found Rocas Alijos to their liking, apparently most would have preferred Guadalupe and most of the divers on the trip my wife is on are scuba divers. Rocas Alijos was not a great place for scuba apparently and many of the passengers on my wife's trip are not happy.

I would have to imagine that this puts the whole white shark season at Guadalupe in some jeopardy so "heads up" to anyone planning a trip there. I have also heard that, pre the biosphere declaration, the Mexican government had banned chumming within ten feet of the shark cages which didn't help the photographers much.

Ron

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.