diver.net

North Coast is finally flat calm

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on July 14, 2007 at 17:36:05:

I went up to Gerstle Cove today to do a quick dive.
The buoy this morning reported 2.1 swell from the NW and very light winds.
When I got to Gerstle the swell was actually zero at the beach and not more than 1 foot outside of the cove, and the wind was a whisper.
There was still some debris and pilled up bull kelp on the beach and in the cove from the previous weekend when we had a nasty south swell and terrible winds.

During my surface swim out I could make out the shapes of all kinds of stars and things on the bottom in the middle of the cove which is about 20 feet deep, so the vis is starting to pick up and it looks like we will be getting some great conditions finally.

I dropped down outside of the marker into about 25 feet of water and followed a heading of 210 degrees. This put me right in the path of the tall pinnacles with all the metridiums, then past that I found the canyon and got to about 88 feet before I turned around. The vis in the canyon was lower, about 10 feet, kind of murky and dark.
I scored 3 fish and I just got done eating a big basket of fresh fish and chips topped off with a few Lost Coast Brewery Great Whites right before writing this, but I’ll spare the ugly details for the people who don’t like to hear about hunting and killing.

For water temps I had 52 degrees which is about the average for California Latitude 39. Water temp was the same on the surface as at depth. We don’t have thermoclines up here.

If anyone is planning a trip north I can say the conditions are good right now, FYI.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to