diver.net

Some ugly details

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on July 15, 2007 at 17:43:57:

In Reply to: Re: North Coast is finally flat calm posted by halibug on July 14, 2007 at 22:34:12:

I went out today again, same spot, but this time with 2 other buddies who met me up there. Conditions were about the same as yesterday. The swell might have been 6" to 1 foot higher than yesterday...big wow.
In typical northern style, as soon as we hit the bottom we scattered like roaches with the lights turned on. I didn't see hide nor hair of the other guys the whole rest of the dive. I like it that way. I guess they call that same ocean same day dive buddy right?
This time I went more on the south side of the cove and found the really big pinnacles and lots of old anchors. I wasn't seeing many fish though, at least none that I wanted to pull the trigger on.
I knew I was getting a bit far south so I decided to take a heading more north west which would put me about at the center of the middle of the cove but way outside the marker. I hit part of the canyon and passed some more big anchors with a max depth this time of 78 feet.
I finally came upon a lingcod that I spooked and it took off only to get very pissed off and come back to charge me head on.
It took a sudden right turn and as soon as it turned broadside the guns started blazin'.
Whaaaammmmm! right in the head! blood squirting everywhere. I dumped all my air and hit the ground and it was smack down time. The ling was going nuts so I pinned him down on the ground and got my knife out and started the 'ol Norman Bates on his spine right behind his head. His body went limp. I raised my arm with a clenched fist in glory as I hovered over my pray. How utterly primal.
Then I looked down at my pressure guage and saw 300 pounds left and thouight, "Oh sh_t, I better git'"

I know all this goes absolutely against all teachings and standards according to every agency and against the grain of every fish hugger out there, but it was fun. Not only that but I got pulled over on the way out by a CHP for going 65 past Laughlin Road. He didn't write me for the speed but he gave me a fix-it ticket for my broken windshield. First time I've been pulled over in 24 years.

I guess I was reaaaallly bad today and you know, it felt good.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to