diver.net

test

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ScubaBob on August 07, 2007 at 23:20:58:

In Reply to: Re: Hi-Def Trip Report - Catalina 07/22/2007 posted by ScubaBob on July 28, 2007 at 00:49:51:

Date: 8/4/2007

Dive Location: Catalina

Dive Sites: Isthmus Reef, Big Geiger

Viz: 20-30'

Water Temp: 66-68 surface, 63 avg., 61 at 80'

Bottom times: 56/60/46

Joined buddies Rob & Traci C. for a day aboard Sundiver. BCSC was chartering the boat, but I was a paying customer this time, no DM duties! (Lori did a splended job in that department - including keeping the crazy PB'ers away at Isthmus. I don't know what it is about dive flags that just seem to attract speeding boats...)

The crossing was calm and uneventful, until the first blow from a Blue Whale was spotted. That's right, Blue Whale! And not one, but at least six!! Two whales sounded before we could get too close, but a juvenile and mother allowed us to get within 100 yards or so before mom showed us her fluke (which, of course, I missed with my video camera!) and disappeared into the abyss.

Our first dive site was Isthmus Reef. Scuba Cat was anchored off Bird Rock, so we found our anchor in a little closer to the Isthmus Reef marker. Conditions were decent, and the kelp was still super thick. Boat traffic was a little hectic, so we moved on to Geiger for dives 2 and 3. Viz was a bit better but of course the surge was stronger for these shallow dives. Of course, I brought along the HC7 and ended up using the W/A port all day (so not much macro action.) No unusal sightings (except seeing Frisbee with a different horn shark in his hand each time we saw him..) but all in all a great day of diving! Thanks to the Sundiver crew!

Pics and video:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.