diver.net

Re: Re: Whoa! That thing is trying to bite me!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on August 27, 2007 at 10:38:35:

In Reply to: Re: Whoa! That thing is trying to bite me! posted by Patrick on August 27, 2007 at 09:28:41:

I think it was a Do It Resort diver. That's where you get certified at some tropical resort with 100ft vis and 82F water and then do a dive with rental gear every 2-3 years to keep your skills sharp. I swam up and fixed the situation right after I took this picture. The diver was oblivious that anything was wrong and the DM was at the front of pack and looking forward.

I helped a bunch of people on this trip. In the past I've been a bit selfish in my diving mostly making sure that me and my buddy were good and not paying a lot of attention to others. I met a bunch of new divers on this trip with great attitudes who wanted to improve their UW skills. It was fun keeping an eye on them and helping them out with little things. It felt great to see them improve based on tips that I gave them and see the smile on their face when they figured out something that made the dive more comfortable. For the first time, I understood how the DM class may be fun. It doesn't make any sense for me since I'm on my boat every weekend, but I would probably give it a shot if I ever sell (or sink) the Orion III.

One of the best was coming across this diver on a safety stop who was vertical with her feet straight up and being held down by two other divers hanging onto her hands. I swam up to her, completely cleared her BC, removed my 4lb weight belt and cinched it around her, and watched the circus dissolve back into normal behavior. I figured out that I could still stay down with only the backplate for weight and she finished up the safety stop a lot more relaxed.

Cheers,
Ross

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to