diver.net

Re: Twilight for Local Dive Shops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scot on September 24, 2007 at 15:18:15:

In Reply to: Twilight for Local Dive Shops posted by Jesse on September 24, 2007 at 13:38:30:

The best way to support any shop is by doing business with them. If your LDS provides relationships or services that you value then, by all means, you should shop there.

Personally, I don't place a very high value on information or advice that I get from any retailer. I want them to provide high-quality goods and services at a competitive price. I prefer to get advice and information from trusted mentors, friends, instructors, and random strangers on the internet. ;-)

In my opinion, the business model of the dive industry is completely broken. Over the the past ten years, the internet and other information sources have created better informed consumers. This has reduced the need for friendly shops, while increasing the demand for competitive pricing. The dive industry has resisted by continuing to subsidize instruction and air fills with overpriced equipment.

It's only a matter of time before the gear manufacturers are forced to face reality and deal with online sales. LDSs will have to find a way to monetize all that goodwill and expert advice while adopting a more realistic pricing structure. Otherwise, they are going to go the way of all outdated businesses.

Scot

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.