diver.net

Re: Re: So Cal Dive Industry

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DWill on October 01, 2007 at 12:41:48:

In Reply to: Re: So Cal Dive Industry posted by Musicalmike on September 27, 2007 at 09:19:49:

Hmmmm....
Skis, boot and poles for 500.00???

I go through two pairs of skis a year.
Each is nearly $1K, one pair of boots a year $800.00.
Season tickets at several western US ski areas, travel, after ski activities, food and a place stay probably $20k - $30K each year ( I don't really keep track ) diving on the other hand...

I have by my best guess $25k in open circuit dive gear.
Soon about $15K in a rebreather.
Probably spend $15 - $20K on "dive travel" each year.

BUT, I haven't set foot in a local (so cal) dive shop in probably 3+ years. ( with one recent exception )

Why?

Simple. Old outdated business models, people working the shops (including owners) who have a severe lack of knowledge, no to poor service, (mostly our of laziness), no to very litte inventory on hand and over priced iventory and service...

As a quick example. I was recently at my home in SD while there I needed to drop some tanks for Hydro. So, I decided it would be quick and easy to just drop them at shop. My mistake...

I was told that it would be a MINIMUM of three weeks before I got them back. And I was quoted over 3X the cost of having the hydro's done. I told the all knowing LDS owner that I wanted the tanks "plused". He tells me nope, can't do that. That can only be done once when the tanks are new (this is of course BS).

I was leaving the next day for my home in Idaho. When I got back a week later I dropped the tanks at the same vendor the LDS uses.

2 days later I had the tanks back. They had been hydro'd, with a "plus"; bead blasted inside (not tumbled). I saved $110.00 got what I wanted done (more actually and still saved) AND got my tanks back a minimum of two weeks less time and that was only because I had to wait a week to drop them off.

So, do I think the dive industry is dead. No, but it on life support; and that's only because it's commited suicide by shooting itself in the head and now is brain dead.

Do "cheap" divers play a part in this. Yes, absolutly.
BUT the "dive industry" in So Cal could with a little effort change that, but they won't not this generation anyway.

You see change is a difficult thing and resembles work to a large degree.... Not something you'll see at any LDS here in So Cal any time soon.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to