diver.net

Dungeoness crab diving

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on October 11, 2007 at 09:02:49:

Are there Dungeoness crabs in Southern California?

When Dungies open I'm planning on doing some diving for them. It seems like it would be great fun. I've dove for popeyes and they're fierce with those claws, not something you want to get in the way of, but they are a riot to chase. The way I finally figured out how to get them into the bag was to open the bag like a big mouth and come straight down on top of them and let them scamper back into the bag. A canvas bag it seems would be better than a mesh bag becase there would be less for them to lock onto.
I could see doing a night dive off Doran by the east breakwall or maybe a day dive off one of the beaches between Bodega and river mouth, on a calm day of course.
Has anyone ever done a specific crab dive? Seems like it could be as much fun as bug diving.
I could also see bringing a big pot and one of those high BTU outdoor cookers and having a crab feed with lots of beer after the dive. If it gets out of hand then the campground is right there.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to