diver.net

Dive report; Cabrillo Beach

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 03, 2007 at 19:20:07:

Merry and I had a tremendous dive experience at Cabrillo Beach this afternoon. No, seriously! After having to work in the morning, I needed to get in the water.
I've never had more than a few feet vis here before, and the muddy surface water wasn't changing my opinion. We swam out past the swim buoy, followed all the way by a Harbor seal at the surface. Each time he surfaced he was closer than the previous time.
We dropped down just outside the kelp through the green-brown haze. Almost immediately I found a round stingray. We followed the reef south until we found 12-15 feet vis. Suddenly, it turned into a real dive. Now there were two Harbor seals buzzing us for the next 76 minutes, plus several minutes on our surface swim back to the beach.
The kelp was full of life. Calico bass were everywhere, as well as Rubberlip seaperch, large Sheephead, Senoritas, large Topsmelt, Black perch, a single Garibaldi, Rainbow seaperch, halibut, Blacksmith and juvenile seaperch along with one inch Senoritas. Piddocks lined the rocky bottom.
I found two new shells for Merry's collection, to be identified later.
As we approached the beach, we could hear the crowd's excitement over the seals. Jeff Shaw even made an appearance to carry Merry's fins for her. :)
I'll never make fun of Cabrillo Beach diving again.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name: