diver.net

The best turkey recipe yet .NDR

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on November 22, 2007 at 20:08:24:

I decided to get a lille bold this year with the turkey.

I started with a 16 lb organic range fed bird from Whole Foods.
You also need a smocker type barbecue big enough to handle a turkey, a full size webber will work. Gas barbecues will not work to do this.
I got one of those big aluminum turkey pans,actually two, and put one inside the other. This is not only for strenth but because it also keeps the bottom of the bird in the pan from getting burnt.
Chop up a few potatoes (peeled), carrots, a turnip, an onion and sprinkle the mix into the bottom of the pan. Lay the turkey on top of the veges then dump the rest of the chopped veges around the bird. You can stuff some inside the bird if you want. Slice up a few apples and stuff into bird and place a few around sides. Pour some apple juice around in pan. Pour a few bottles of Miller MGD or other sweet beer into pan. Pour a little Jack Daniels or Makers Mark bourbon whiskey into pan. Chop up a little fresh garlic and spinkle around into pan and put a few pieces inside turkey. Brush olive oil onto skin of bird then srinkle a little salt and pepper all over surface of turkey.

In the barbecue you want to place coals around sides and not directly under turkey pan. Start by using regular kingsford charcoal and when fully lit place a few good size hunks of natural lump mesquite charcoal on top of the kingsford and allow to light from the lit charcoal, DO NOT USE FLUID. Get one of those newspaper charcoal starters to light the briquettes.
Place turkey pan in barbecue right after you have placed the mesquite then baste every 20- 30 minutes. Add more mesquite pieces as it burns down, usually every time you baste. Do not add briquetts after initial use, they are only to start the mesquite, briquetts give a funky flavor if placed in later.

After turkey is cooked, allow to cool for a few minutes then pull out of pan and set aside. Drain all ingredients from pan into a bowl or recepticle. Pour pan juice and vegetables into a blender and puree for a few minutes or until fully blended smooth. Adjust thickness by adding more veges from turkey pan.
This will be your gravy for the turkey and mashed potatoes, no flour, corn starch or bogus mixes, just all natural smokey turkey pan juice thikened with veges.

This is the best one I've invented yet.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.