diver.net

Aloha! Wai"anae Trutles

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on November 30, 2007 at 13:08:20:

Aloha!

A bit of work took me to Honolulu – no dives on the Arizona this time, just some meetings and not enough time to get in the water. But, like nearly everyone on this list, being a water puppy, it is impossible to stay away from the ocean. Well that, and this IS an island - :)

Staying with friends on the Wai’anae Coast I discovered a little pocket beach no more than 60-feet wide that is the local turtle fast food dive-in. Because of its exposed location, a beach dive here is really out of the question unless conditions went dead-flat calm. That hasn’t been the case since I’ve been here.

Yes, Max, it is worse than both OML or Vets on big surf days.

On the eastern edge of the beach (which is encircled with very jagged lava flow) is a ledge approximately 5-feet wide and 18 or 20-feet long that sports a dense carpet of algae . It looks like a short dense palm kelp. Apparently this is the equivalent of Krispy Kream for the local turtles. On a dropping tide with BIG waves pounding in and the shelf a veritable welter of whitewater, I’ve watched as many as five turtles up on the shelf attempting to graze, and twice that many washing around the whitewater of the shorebreak waiting their turn to chow down. It is very cool and I'd love to get in the water, but it isn't going to happen this trip. But next time...

I’ll throw some pictures on the board when I get back.

Aloah, and stay wet

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.