Buddy(ies): Kyle & Angelique
Time: 9:02 am.
Bottom Time: 1 hr 6 Min
Max Depth: 49 fsw
Vis: 10-15 ft and 20-30 ft
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 56F
Surface Temp: 42F in the Driveway and 57 at the parking lot

It’s been about 2 ½ years since I last dove Cardiac. With the name alone, it congers up wonderful thoughts of doom……lol.

When I got to the lot, I noticed what a great day it was. The skies were clear and the wind was very calm. The ocean looked nice and glassy and the waves rolling into the cove looked manageable. Basically, it looked like another beautiful SoCal morning.

We all geared up and started talking about what the hike back up was going to be like when we exit. The last time I dove here I had my HP130 so now I was smart enough to bring the HP80. Kyle on the other hand had his HP120….YIKES….lol.

As we hiked down the trail we noticed that some of the sets coming in were almost 4 feet and breaking over the rocks. We found a nice entry point in the cove and timed the entry perfectly. On our way out to the point we would occasionally look to see what the vis was like and to our dismay, it looked pretty bad. We all were a little bummed but with the hike and the long kick out, we moved on determined to have a good dive. When we were almost out to the point, we noticed that we were a little too close to the rocks. At one point Angelique stood up on one and was ½ way out of the water. Considering how far out we were, this looked pretty cool. We decided to move out a bit and then drop at the end of the rocks.

On the way down the vis was pretty OK but once we hit the bottom it deteriorated to 8-10 feet. We began our short journey going around the point working our way between the rocks and we rounded the point the visibility began to open up. As we kept going, the vis got better and better. At one point the vis was almost an amazing 40 feet. I really miss Long Point so it was great to be back in an area with nice rock formations. We spent most of our time checking out the pinnacles, boulders and small rock formations around the area of the point. This was the type of dive that you wish it kept going and going!!

We ended up seeing a ton of Sheepheads (both male and female), 1 huge Octo, 5 species of nudi’s and overall we had a SUPER dive.

The hike back up was a bitch but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Note to self, come back here again quickly.

Below are some highlights from the dive:

Nice View

Baby Sheephead

Sponge

Tiny Hopkins Rose

Star and Fish

Spanish Shawl

Big Octopus

Polycera Tricolor

Juvi Treefish & Scallop

HUGE San Diego Dorid

Feather Duster Worm