diver.net

Holy cow Phil!

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on December 30, 2007 at 21:12:39:

In Reply to: One killer removed from the water, another escapes posted by Max Bottomtime on December 30, 2007 at 16:56:28:

That almost made me sick to my stomach!
They should find out who that net belongs to and fine them hard. A new law needs to be passed that a net should have ID tags attached to them every 20 or 30 feet That way when something like this happens they can charge the party responsible for the clean up. They require crab floats to be marked, why could they require nets to be marked. If there was a law in place and they did a surprise check on a fishing boat and found an unmarked net, they would recieve a fine.
This is an atrocity! It's inexusable!!

People laugh at how green and active we are up here in Norcal. Do those same people ever stop to think about why we still have abalone and Socal doesn't? It's because we're active, very active. There aren't any more drag netters up here either, we got rid of them all. There aren't anymore longliners, we got rid of them all. There aren't any more fish trappers, we got rid of them all.
I'm sure there are some squid boat captains and northern salmon fishermen seeing this saying "right on! get rid of 'em"
but they are twisted people driven by money and profits. I know commercial fishermen and a good chunk of them don't give a damn about the health of the ocean environment, only what they can make off it.
I love pinnipeds. In fact I have one of Elaine's Santa Barbara sea loin shots as my wallpaper on my computer.
The sight of those dead sea lions and birds makes me furious!!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to