diver.net

Trying to find Califonria laws about Gill Nets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on January 02, 2008 at 06:36:56:

I have a difficult time with the California Fish and Game website. Way too difficult to navigate and find what you need to know in clear English - my native language. What I have stumbled across so far is this: Beyond amazing. I read it as for $300.00 you can buy a permit to drift net for sharks - no experience required, no examination required. Now I'm going searching for what you need to do to get the permits for general commercial gill netting listed at the bottom of this section. To be licensed to put these huge killing machines in the water - I'm just appalled - no required college degrees (at a minimum) with required courses in safety and marine ecology, no experience requirement, nothing.

"Professional and Business License Handbook
Shark and Swordfish Permit, Drift Gill Net
Businesses Requiring Permit: Operators of vessels using drift gill nets to take shark and swordfish.
Fees: Application: none; Examination: none; Permit: $330.
Examination Frequency: N/A.
Examination Locations: N/A.
Experience Required: N/A.
Average Time to Process Application: 10 working days.
Fee Period: Annually, April 1 - March 31.
Authority: Fish and Game Code, Section 8560-8570.
Other Special License Requirements: Commercial Fishing License and General Gill Trammel Net Permit is required; must have possessed a valid Drift Gill Net Permit during the previous license year.
Comments: Specific landing requirements are required to maintain the permit.
Information and Applications: Fish and Game offices in San Diego and Long Beach only."

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to