diver.net

Re: Trip Report and Photos: My encounter with a Gill Net

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hopper Stone on January 05, 2008 at 12:02:54:

In Reply to: Trip Report and Photos: My encounter with a Gill Net posted by Elaine on January 02, 2008 at 14:27:30:

As part of my scientific diver training for the Aquarium of the Pacific, I had the privelege of taking part in the pilot phase of UC Davis' derelict fishing gear recovery program. Over the course of a weekend, we mapped 3 miles of coastline at Catalina, taking GPS coordinates of gear found abandoned on the bottom which would later be recovered.

I can only reiterate what Elaine said in her article:
Actually raising derelict fishing gear can be extremely hazardous. One should not use air bags or try to extricate a gill net from the water without proper training. Removal is derelict gear is considered a commercial diving enterprise and under no circumstances should be attempted by recreational divers. The best we can do as as a grass roots movement would be to report it. Even opening an abandoned lobster trap can be dangerous. If you choose to do so (which you really shouldn't), make sure you have proper prying gear and that you don't hurt yourself (or run out of air during the extra exertion caused by trying to do this.
Here is a website with more information about reporting derelict gear:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whc/mehp/derelictgear.html
And the hotline for reporting gear is: 1-888-491-GEAR

Which this is an important issue for the ecosystem and marine life, remember....diver safety has to come first on any dive.

Happy diving.
-Hopper Stone
Padi MSDT 173591
AAUS Scientific Diver

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full