diver.net

Photo backlash

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mojo Mike on February 20, 2008 at 18:42:58:

In Reply to: World record blue marlin by speared by freediver posted by on February 19, 2008 at 19:13:47:

I knew there would be a backlash from this post. Most of the visitors here are photographers. It is difficult to critize anyone for taking a fish. When the majority of people have one time or the other have eaten fish or caught fish. Those without sin cast the first stone. Most sinners have learned during our lives to respect nature and to not waste it.

I am a sinner in many more ways than I wish to list and a lot don't have any thing to do with fishing. Still it disturbs me taking a marlin with a speargun. There has been a trend of releasing bill fish for years. You can't release a fish to catch again if you spear it. I never understand why anyone. Would want to catch a marlin anyway.

I am a avid fisherman from flyfishing for trout to deep sea fishing for tuna. Yes I spear fish (stripped bass)for dinner. I eat what I kill and kill no more than I will eat. I am also selective where I spear fish and what I shoot. I never really got into shooting California reef fish. I could already notice the impact from over fishing in the early 70's along the coast.

I never could understand killing something for a trophy or record. Personally I think spearing bill fish should be illegal. Spearing a yellowtail or a tuna for dinner is a different story. Then there is lobster hmmmmmmmmmmm, but then there is ohhhhhhhhh to describe a photo. That takes one's breath away.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to