diver.net

Re: Re: Mau'i Trip Report - LOTS of Pictures!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Kevin on February 22, 2008 at 22:46:46:

In Reply to: Re: Mau'i Trip Report - LOTS of Pictures! posted by Rich on February 22, 2008 at 21:41:52:

Rich –

While the Mau’i Dive Shop is within walking distance from the hotel, I don’t think you want to lug tanks/weights that distance on foot (it’s actually about 15 minutes). We just drove our rental over and tossed the stuff in the back. Mau’i Dive Shop offers a week tank rental card that is a good deal too. That way you don’t have to pay for tanks each time, just go back & exchange used for fresh. You can only take 2 at a time though. You really don’t want to rent from the Sheraton on-beach shop…it’s WAY too expensive! One note is that if you just dive Black Rock they don’t really enforce a dive flag rule, but if you shore dive anywhere else on the island one is mandatory. If you’re up for a just a little adventure, don’t miss Mala wharf…we LOVED that one.

With regard to Molokini vs. Lana’i we’d say that the back wall is probably a better dive if you’re looking for marine life. The Cathedrals are cool topography, but pretty barren of animals from what I remember on my trip there a few years back. Our dive at the back wall was still a little disappointing because we didn’t see any of the pelagics (sharks, rays) that we’d hoped for.

When you’re diving Black Rock be sure to go all the way around the point. That’s where we saw the coolest stuff. And definitely do a night dive if you’re into that…we had a great time on ours!

Have a great trip!!

Kev & Liz

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to