diver.net

I don't always go for the spearo mentallity

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on February 25, 2008 at 08:35:39:

In Reply to: Photo backlash posted by Mojo Mike on February 20, 2008 at 18:42:58:

That guy didn't shoot that fish with any intention of eating it, obviously. But I always like the way they throw in "..and it went to the starving locals" line to some how justify it and make it all OK in their minds. He just wanted to do the glory hound thing.
I am an avid hunter and the only fish I eat is what I spear, which sometimes is months apart. I get about 3-6 nice lings a year and about 15 -20 other assorted fish a year and eat every scrap.
I take guys out on my boat who will shoot fish and then when we get back to shore they'll say "do you want these fish, I don't want them". I say "What! then why did you kill it?" I take them of course, but I should place a rule on a plaque in plain view reading "If you kill it you take it. NO EXCEPTIONS!"

I do have a problem with spear fishing contests because even though they follow all the laws, the focus is on winning with the most and biggest fish. Getting them for food is secondary to the glory.

That guy pulling the sword off that bill fish to me means that he is keeping it as a symbol of another body part that it resembles that he may be lacking mentally?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to