diver.net

Re: March 1st Sea Bass trip to PV

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on March 02, 2008 at 12:56:38:

In Reply to: March 1st Sea Bass trip to PV posted by Walter Marti on March 02, 2008 at 11:57:23:

hey Walt, I'm really glad you guys had a good time, you know I would have been on the boat if I wasn't flying back from asia.

I never really thought of the sea bass as a boat for budget conscious divers. I've been on budget boats - slow, bad service, bad food, rushed dives, short fills, full of students. The sea bass is none of those.

It's funny divers were comparing the reefs to catalina, saying there's better macro life in PV. That's like saying there's more wildlife in africa than in europe, lol. Some of the best spots for macro in so-cal, besides PV, are point loma, san miguel, and the west end of santa cruz. Those are the spots it should be compared to. :) Catalina is great for WA photography.

that's too bad about the fishing boat, that's the downside of diving these spots, in some cases we may tip off the fisherman where the fish are.

I know not everyone was doing photography, but for those who were, low-vis shouldn't matter. Currents and surge will mess up macro shots more than low-vis. If you shoot with a strobe and a 60mm macro lens, or stacked INON macro lenses with a point and shoot, you'll get good macro closeups even in low-vis, remember your subject will be only a couple of inches from the lens port.

Walt, now you have me missing the local diving again, lets get back on the boat together soon.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.