diver.net

Re: Where is the best place for a scuba lover to retire?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David V on March 07, 2008 at 23:40:07:

In Reply to: Where is the best place for a scuba lover to retire? posted by Mojo Mike on March 07, 2008 at 20:32:39:

I will assume that you are looking for a few island candidates to visit before you decide for yourself where to retire.

That being said, toss Bonaire into that ring. Great shore diving with tons of life.

The people seem to be very nice. Go there, walk the streets, talk to folks. I was told to graduate school, students must speak 4 languages. English, Dutch, and Spanish are widely spoken.

The island lies outside of the hurricane belt, so that is another plus.

I've traveled to the Bahamas as well. The people there are very nice as well, but the reefs are lacking.

Cozumel has great diving, but most of the really great reefs require boat diving. English is widely spoken here as well.

I have not been to Costa Rica, but I have heard good things about it. Diving, jungle and people are all supposed to be top notch. But again, I have only heard this. I have not visited there yet. You may wish to check out San Felipe as well. It sits on the sea of Cortez and is about 4 hrs accross the border. Retirement comunities are springing up there for U.S. citizens.

Good Luck in your research and travels. And if you find this perfect place, please report it back on this board. Others are looking as well.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to