diver.net

Re: Dive Spot Suggestions Malibu to Ventura?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MUSICALMIKE on April 04, 2008 at 13:37:25:

In Reply to: Dive Spot Suggestions Malibu to Ventura? posted by Rich on April 04, 2008 at 11:14:31:

There are many spots to dive in this area. Depending on your surf entry experience, it can be challenging at times. I like to dive around Malibu Colony. This is the area directly below Pepperdine University. This area is mostly private homes along the beach, but every few hundred yards, you will find a gate for public access. I believe there are 4-5 entry area's along the street (Webb Way). The reef runs parrallel to the beach and sits about 30-50yds offshore. This area can be fairly well protected during a west swell, but can break with a south swell. It is particularly well suited for beginners because it is a very short walk from your vehicle, to the waters edge. It also is fairly shallow with a gentle slope for easier beach entries. The reef here is fairly sparse, with scatterd rock outcroppings. Some area's have thicker reef then others.
As you mentioned already, Pt Dume is a greet spot for diving. While it is generally an advanced dive. I have dove with beginners there. Again, depending on your experience with surf entries this site is a little more tricky because it drops off quite quickly. It is also not very well protected from the south or west swell. If you can make it through the surf with no problems, you are then confronted with a VERY long swim (with the current generally) to the dive spot. If there is no current or waves.....this can be quite an easy spot to dive and the rewards are enourmous for a beach dive.
Beware...the walk from the parking lot down to the waters edge is a bit longer then it looks. Also, the swim to the pinnicles is much further then it looks. Coming back up to your car after your dive with full gear on, walking through the sand, uphill, after a long swim can really make you think twice if your gonna do this dive again.
Another great place to dive is Leo Carillo State Park. If you dive this site at high tide, you can enter from the stairs off the hwy. The problem with diving this area at low tide is the plethora of boulders that litter the shoreline. It can be very challenging, not to mention dangerous. Any other time you should pay the parking fee and drive into the park and dive from the west side of the rocks. This area is an easier sand entry and the reef is no to far off shore. The reef at Leo Carillo is very extensive with wonderful rock formations and a large variety of life. E-mail me if you want more info

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to