diver.net

Ab diving today in Mendocino County

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on April 06, 2008 at 21:26:43:

Today I went abalone diving North of Anchor Bay in Mendocino County. The day was outstanding. The air was about 50°F. It was sunny and calm. I headed into the water about 11 AM. My girlfriend Kathryn came along and took the pictures in this report. Unlike yesterday (opening day) i saw noone else diving for abalone today.

The water felt cold. It gave me an instant "ice cream" headache as soon as I put my face in. Other than that I was warm because I wore a thick wetsuit. The only downside being I needed 31 lbs. to freedive easily.

Since my freediving skills can best be described as dismal I only headed out into about 18 feet of water. The visibility was about 15 feet, thus it was easy to see once I was down. In four dives I pulled two 8" abs, just what I wanted for dinner this evening.

I then headed back into shore.

While I was readying my gear for the hike up the hill some curious harbor seals came to watch.

There were several Osprey patrolling above us. Once we got to the top of the hill we could see a pair of whales feeding offshore.

Once at my truck I filled out my abalone report card and attached the tags to the abalone with a small wire tie.
We took the abalone home and we had them for dinner this evening along with some fresh broccoli, orange cauliflower, and brussel sprouts.
It was a beautiful day, good abalone, and great company!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to