diver.net

Great conditions at White Point

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on April 13, 2008 at 15:13:37:

Today was one of those days that only happen a couple of times each year. We had a DiveVets dive scheduled at White Point because of the temporary closure of Marineland, our usual Sunday site. The visibility in the cove was ten to twelve feet with an amazing thirty feet on the outer kelp offshore. It averages about two to five feet the rest of the time.
Merry and I braved the slippery rocks on the east side of the point for our entry, while Don, Ted, Joe and Chris entered from the rocks in the cove. I think we had better luck.
The kelp was standing straight up while fish came from everywhere to check us out...well, maybe the cod and peas Merry brought helped. We found a ridge that was covered with nudibranchs and some rocks filled with piddock clams.
The visibility was good enough for some wide angle shots. My favorite was from underneath an overhang. The cold water forced us to end our dive sooner than planned. We made a bee-line for the mouth of the cove where the white growth covers everything in sight. We hung a right turn and exited, only to find that the tide was so low that we had a long walk over the rocks.
All in all, one of my favorite dives at White Point.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket