diver.net

Re: Counter Point?

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on April 21, 2008 at 22:04:23:

In Reply to: Counter Point? posted by Divebum Don on April 21, 2008 at 21:23:26:

Don, we do hide a few of our secret spots. :)
I have been diving Marineland longer than most it seems, except for you, and I can remember how nice it was before the onslaught of the mid to late 90s. Gone are the numbers of fish and lobster that used to be found at the Point, as well as the sea lion haulout and pupping on the rocks there. Of course, human impact is going to be negative everywhere. If we can get more divers with the same attitude that our little group has we might be able to keep the area pristine. For those who don't know, we pick up the trash left behind by fishermen and mindless souls who don't seem to have a clue.
At the same time, I have been one of the biggest promoters of diving Marineland. I love sharing pictures and stories of what I consider the best shore dive in Southern California. Because of the somewhat strenuous access and common rough entries and exits over the ever-changing rocky shoreline the number of divers who visit our "backyard" has been kept at a minimum compared to other, more popular beaches in Laguna Beach and La Jolla. The reefs there have been able to withstand the pressure of fishing, dive classes and dozens of divers exploring them every week.
I believe that Marineland could handle the pressure of more divers, especially considering the varied areas to explore. If the ramp or stairs were installed at the cove, many divers would still not bother with the 1/4 mile swim to the pinnacles and would opt for the 120 Reef, the Platform (if we ever get a buoy to stay there), the Garden, pilings, shell zone or the sandy plain. I think a ramp and rail at the Point would not work because it would encourage some to attempt to dive there in rough conditions. We've seen what happens to over-confident divers at Marineland.
With people onboard like you, Bob Kennedy and John Walker I believe we could make an easier entry at the cove a reality. It would certainly cut down on the number of ambulances called to Terranea Resort each weekend.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to