diver.net

Re: Diving in Cabo??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Diver_Jan on May 19, 2008 at 18:15:27:

In Reply to: Diving in Cabo?? posted by jerikojosh on May 18, 2008 at 12:24:37:

I have to agree with Seahunt on this one. I have been to Cabo several times but not for the past four years. I went recently last October and was saddened to see such a quaint area succumb to the tourist trade. God forbid if you booked a beach front room for view of the 'Arch' only to be staring at 4 cruise ships for the majority of the day.

The dive sites are ok. Truly, I think Cabo Pulmo is WAY WAY overrated!!! I was very disappointed,,,maybe because I had heard how 'spectacular' it was. The reefs reminded me of the stuff that I see in Laguna (actually, Laguna is better diving all the way around with the exception of temps and viz). We did a 'drift' dive, and a good 20 minutes or better was over a long area of sand. I was fuming! My favorite dives were Lands End and Middle Reef (experienced divers) where we went down to 145+ It was so cool which was on our last day, for we had our very own DM due to the type of dive we were doing. We wanted to do Gordo Banks, but the owner stated that no one was seeing anything so didn't want to take us there. If you're experienced, I would skip Cabo Pulmo and try for the banks. I wish we insisted.

As seahunt mentioned, we dove with Amigos Del Mar. The owner wasn't so friendly, but our DM was fantastic. At the time, the shop was up for sale. Not sure if it got bought out or not.

In the past, I have always dove with Underwater Diversions that was top notch as well.

Topside is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed Squid Roe and The Office as far as food, drinks, and service go; Gigglin Marlin, and of course...Cabo Wabo. If you do go to the Office, take lots of $$$$. It's expensive, but well worth it.

Be sure to use local bus system to save on taxi fares, unless you rent a car.

An added treat that you can't get here, at least that I have seen...are Jalepeno/ Avacado Pringles potato chips at the local grocery store...yummy. I wish I had brought some home.

Safe Diving

Jan

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to