diver.net

Another great day on the North Coast

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on May 27, 2008 at 21:15:56:

Gonphishing and I went up to Gerstle on Memorial day with our kayaks.
The ocean was flatter than I've ever seen it. Not even a 1 foot swell and zero wind. You could have water skied on it.
We checked out some structure around some pinnacles between north and south gerstle, out beyond the furthest wash rock in an average of 60 feet. some of the rocks tower up to 10 -15 feet from the surface. All of the are loaded with metridiums and all other sorts of growth which I sure most of you know every scientific name for them, I don't.
The water was exeptionally cold. One instructor friend I ran into on the beach said he was wearing two computers, one read 41 degrees and the other read 44 degrees. I wore my drysuit for the first time in a long time and the problem is I sweat profusely getting ready and paddling out to the site then when I do the dive all that built up moisture makes me get cold. I absolutely froze by butt.
On our second dive we went south again to find the Norlina and we landed right on it. I found a nice big piece of shiny brass but didn't take it because it's a protected wreck. There is quite a debris pile with all kinds of twisted and bent metal, ribs, a huge drive shaft, boilers. The wreck is supposed to be 367 feet long but I only saw part of it. It's only in 10 to 15 feet of water and most the time it not diveable because the water breaks right over it. There were some monster abs on it too. I will come back in freedive gear and pull a couple nice ones.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to