Posted by Lee on June 04, 2008 at 11:53:02:

Date: 6/3/08
Dive Location: Vets
Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 8:08 pm.
Bottom Time: 50 min
Max Depth: 95 fsw
Vis: 3-5 shallow : 10-15 deep
Wave height: 2-3 (Occasional Wicked Shore Breaks)
Temp at depth: 54F
Surface Temp: 67F

I met up with Dana and Angelique at Vets last night (or should I say day) considering how light it stays out now. The surface looked calm but the shore breaks were coming in high and pitching in very shallow water. We all geared up and split into 2 groups. Dana was with Jeremy and I was with Angelique. The plan was to go out at the middle stairs drop at the end of the pier and head down to 100 or so.

The visibility in 10-30 was not that great. As we moved down the canyon it began to open up nicely. The usual critters were out tonight. I did however get very lucky with one critter I have never seen before at vets. As we were making our way to 100 feet, we ran across a HUGE Pleurobranchaea Californica strolling across the bottom at about 85 feet.

We hung out in the 90’s until we reached close to our non deco limit and then began making our way back up the canyon. We checked out the “Salad Bowl” area for a while looking for nudi’s but mostly came across tiny Hermissendas.

On the way back in, the waves picked up a little and the shore breaks were wicked. The waves were breaking in a very shallow area and the bottom was like quicksand. I exited without any issues but Angelique was less fortunate. Even though she got pretty beat up, she never lost balance and made it through like a champ. It’s tough to duck under a 4-5 foot face with 1 foot of water under you wearing all that gear but she managed it perfectly.

Overall, it was a great dive and the good news is that the water temperature was not that bad.

Below are some pictures from the dive:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.