diver.net

Scuba show report, things to see

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on June 21, 2008 at 22:45:17:

Spent the day today at the scuba show, as usual.

I didn't see every single thing in every single booth, but a few things stood out as things to see if you go sunday:

lots of friends.

The Oxycheq booth. Very small 18# wing, all very well made, ask to see the sample material swatches. Also be sure to see his new LED light, a really solid little backup light. $60, 3 AA's, very bright, LED.

the extreme scuba booth in the middle has little delrin reel spools for $20.

Several booths have new polartec dive suits with the warmth of a 3mm but neutrally buoyant. Interesting to me, 3 mm suits don't last long to me and I'm looking for an alternative. Pricey, though. Brand name is "Fourth Element". They also make drysuit underwear.

One booth down by the movie screen, Neptunics, is selling chain mail suits, cool to see in person.

Reef Photo has more and more sea-tool camera housings, still and video. These things are small.

The Peace booth, they are running an open boat on a couple wednesdays this summer to miguel and advanced sites. Now if only they'd get an espresso machine.

Light & Motion has LED lights for video.

olympus has a booth, they brought most of their SLR lenses, fun to try them out.

Lots of rebreathers. If you get one, please put my name on your camera so they know you were only borrowing it from me and baywatch returns it to me, OK?

Ships 2 Reefs. I'd like more of these, please.

DiveRite, DeepSeaSupply, OMS, all brought their stuff. OMS makes a little titanium line cutter/knife that I like the looks of, it's a small Ti t-shaped plate, with a line cutter hook and a scerrated edge, all you need and it's Ti, won't rust, bust, or get dusty.

The Hermosa Hotel was there, the good old place we always used to stay on catalina. They have a wheel of fortune that you spin for a discount or a free night.

Jujeebeads, wow they are cool ;-)

Pinnacle is there with their wool-lines wetsuits. Judy really likes hers, they have lots of womens sizes and good fits, in addition to the wool, which seems to work.

Whites is there with their new drysuit. It's a baggy trilam suit, loose fitting with good mobility and all... but the outer layer is a spandex shell that keeps the whole suit tight on you. Supposed to have better mobility than a wetsuit in the water, and you can swim in it as fast as a wetsuit, or at least faster than a drysuit.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to