diver.net

Finding undersea treasure at home.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 29, 2008 at 22:28:58:

All you have to do is clean it up a bit.

A Before and After Collage

Reds

Pinks

Blacks

Urchins

Green and Red abs
abalone shells

I get into doing all kinds of odd things. Recently I cleaned and varnished some red
abalone shells. They came out really nice. I also did a pink abalone shell and some
scallop shells. I thought they all looked nice too so I hung them all up. I eventually
remembered that I had a couple real nice green abalone shells packed in my junk. I
figured I should add one of them to my collection. Then it came to my mind that I might
just have some old shells tucked away from years ago at San Nic. There was a box in my
parent's attic. It had the two black abalone shells I had taken from a cliff right along
the shore where there were hundreds of them in the tidal zone. To bad it is no longer
that way. The black abalone tended to be scorned by divers in favor of their bigger
deeper cousins. At one time there were black abalone on the intertidal rocks like snails
in a wet garden. True, they were smaller, the meat was a bit tougher and darker, but I
think they were actually more flavorful with just a strong abalone flavor. They cooked
up just as tender.

Black abalone shells have a beautiful milky white Mother of Pearl matched only perhaps
by the rare white abalone. The image does it little justice.

I think that the urchins will look really neet with a bit more varnish. Just something
to play with. Maybe I can get a pinto abalone shell up north this summer.
Enjoy the bounty of the sea, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.