diver.net

not so timely report, 7/3

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott S. on July 05, 2008 at 12:04:45:

Dive buddy Barry and I went over to Catalina on Thursday, nice calm ride over, a little foggy but never less than 2 miles visibility. Our first dive was on the reef that is just off the west side of Big Geiger cove, it’s a very cool spot with a nice little wall and lots of structure. As has been the norm lately vis on the surface was very nice, 30’ to 40’ but as you approach the thermo cline it gets cloudy. The water above the thermo cline was very warm, forgot to look at my thermometer but I’m guessing high 60’s . After a light lunch at the Isthmus and visiting a few friends that were staying for what was looking to be a very crowded weekend, we headed over to Parsons to dive the reef that lies right outside the bay. Water conditions were about the same, clear in shallow, cloudier down below 50’. I had never dove this reef and was impressed by the amount of life! Especially the encrustations on the rocks, it seemed to be much more concentrated than other areas close by. Cool spot for the macro photog. Our ride home was exhilarating with white capping swells mid-channel, becoming lake-like calm as we entered SM Bay, nice day!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to