diver.net

Re: Diving Kona Hawaii

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on July 05, 2008 at 18:38:20:

In Reply to: Diving Kona Hawaii posted by Brent on June 30, 2008 at 20:31:57:

If you're staying at the Hilton I have a suggestion for a quick fun adventure. Go out to the south point of the property just beyond where they have the little tea house sitting on the overlook. The shore diving is terrific there. I found a ledge that starts in about 15 feet and drops down to about 40 feet. Along that ledge there are numerous swim throughs and hollowed out areas where you can find turtles hanging out. I swam with a turtle for about 1/2 hour and the thing wouldn't leave me. I was freediving at the time. There is also a beach foot path that will take you south down to the Outrigger. Red Sail Sports leaves from the beach at the Outrigger and they do some great scuba trips. Just make sure it's not an open water resort course boat. You sign up at a kiosk on the grounds of the Hilton right where you'll be staying.

There's also some great shore diving further south. When I did a snorkel boat with my wife (I was scuba diving) they took us just north out of the Kona harbor about 5 minutes and we anchored at a spot that could easily be reached from shore. In fact it was right off a public beach with cars parked in a lot and people standing there looking at us. I did feel a little ripped off at that point seeing I could have saved the $110 a person and dove it from shore. That dive was deep. We hit 120 feet and easily could have kept going. Some of the reef structure in shallow was really cool too. All this and it was reachable from shore.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to