diver.net

MLPA Southern Region, 101

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Divebum Don on July 16, 2008 at 14:34:57:

Eric Frasco invited me to attended a MLPA meeting in San Pedro recently. I will try to "nutshell" this info and hope all who see fit will paticipate. It was hosted by Public/Private Ecotrust.org, who has been hired to do the numbers ($$$), and do the stategic mapping.

Commercial fishermen is mostly where the fiscal number crunching comes in. We Recreational groups will have the our most concerns and impact in the mapping.

1. Go to the websites below, READ and volunteer to take a SurveyIinterview.

2. Be prepared to give a "penny" value to your favorite spots up to 1 dollar, as in, Phil puts 98 pennies on OML, and 2 pennies on White Point ;-)

3. The divers are a recognized distinct "stakeholder"

4. Ecotrust will be looking for some hardcore stakeholder members from each group (spearfishers, Rec fishermen, etc, etc) to represent their side, This will require MUCHO volunteer time for the individuals seleted and is very reading intensive. (The Dive fotogs Reg. as "other" I think? :-) ....BUT they really WANT to HEAR from everybody.

I think Elaine may have been at one of the first Commercial Fisherman meetings, they ARE gnarly. Our group was a very civil and productive Recreational ocean users meeting to help us get the word out to you all.

Interviews start SOON! Follow their lead, I trust Ecotrust. They were used in the North and Central areas and have a good method. Your FAVAORITE secret spot for hunting, or fishing, or pictures will NOT be disclosed,

Wheather hand taker, kayak fisher, pole hunter or Fotogs, if you don't get interviewed, your site could end up a no-take if they don't interview YOU (700 inteviews only).

This thread could go on forever and I don't know enough to answer any Q's, please read the websites or call them (Jon or Sarah)

http://www.ecotrust.org/mlpa

http://www.ecotrust.org/mlpa/interview_signup

Be safe out there!

PLEASE FORWARD THIS INFO TO YOUR CLUBS, MESSAGE BOARDS AND ORGS

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full