diver.net

Back to the beach

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 20, 2008 at 19:53:06:

I finally got in an entire dive without having camera issues. I jammed a dozen new dessicant packs in the housing, put the housing in a cooler and didn't shoot in RAW mode today to keep the camera from heating up too much. I'm not sure which one did the trick, but it worked.
Merry and I dropped down and headed to Ted's Pinnacle. The statue has grown over very nicely with bryozoan, encrusting algae,sponges and even a batstar today. There was a champagne bottle in her bucket, but it must have jumped out. :)
We passed through two thermoclines and the water was dirty, so the fish didn't seem to pay much attention to us. We found a large spotfin sculpin, a first for us, as well as another first, a colonial tunicate. We also found two sets of two swell shark eggs. I can't remember ever seeing two together.
We made it out of the water without incident, which is also a rarity at Marineland.
Photobucket
Our Lady Of The Garden

Photobucket

Photobucket
Swell shark eggs

Photobucket
Colonial tunicates

Photobucket
Sponge and hundreds of brittle stars

Photobucket
Eggs on the half-shell

Photobucket
Cadlina limbaughorum

Photobucket
Hermissenda crassicornis doing his Easter Bunny impression

Photobucket
Triopha catalinae

Photobucket
Anisdoris nobilis

We stopped at the Cabrillo Beach boat launch on the way home and found Lion nudibranchs and a Janolus barbarensis. The water was so muddy that I only got one photo clear enough to post.
Photobucket
Janolus barbarensis

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to