diver.net

Cambria Rock Solo Kayak Dive

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B. Xavier on July 22, 2008 at 16:37:36:

Great diving this morning near Cambria Rock. Took Fish & Dive with BC and pony and lots of gear. Picked a nice kelp bed and dropped down the anchor line. Vis was about 20 feet with hundreds of blues and other rockfish cruising in big schools. Never got the big ling, but they are there. A few years ago I speared two within 5 minutes of hitting the bottom. Bottom near Cambria Rock is 50-60 feet. I dove in 40 feet today. Check your regs because Cambria Rock is near White Rock area- which is MLPA protected. Cambria Rock area is open to recreational take only. Great dive but very often the vis is not so good. Drop something down ten feet in the water and if you can see it, the vis should be pretty good. Be prepared- the water under these kelp beds is sometimes very dark. I never use a light but wished I had taken one today. Usually you need a boat or yak to dive the Central Coast, because you have to get out past the shoreline to get to the good water. Tips- Tie your yak once, and use the anchor a second tie. Stay in the kelp so you can use it for a safety stop in case you lose the anchor line. Also, start ascent with a good 800-1,000 pounds because you may have to swim under some big kelp beds. B. Xavier

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to