diver.net

New-B

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Divebum Don on July 28, 2008 at 13:21:50:

After a decent 12' vizz dive on Sat morning @ offshore Malaga, and panflat Pacific conditions, Steve Smith and I decided to venture to the "Newbern" wreckfield on Sunday.

I had a junior (no take) archeology 'kit' with me (100m transect, spikes, hammer, polypro, buoy, camera, clipboard, u/w paper, compass, GPS, etc.) for a fun mapping project @ our favorite site.

Well a ripping current and big surge made for challenging conditions in the 5-6 ft of vizz, so we modified the plan to buoy it, photograph it and explore more. The treat was to just poke around and discover more from this 1893 wreck with Civil War history. There's still many (6 to 10?) shaft(s?) and sections sections including 1 LARGE one, and as I looked for other non-natural shapes and 'scraped' everything in site, Steve waved me over for something he found? I scraped and it came up GOLD! Well at least brass ;-)

What we now searched for was similar flat 'sheet brass' as it is thin, folded, crunched, encrusted and abundant. Seems like sheet brass for 'protective marine enclosures' or something? onboard this 1864 bit of history.

Fun day just north and west of the point pillar @ OML, Long Point.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to