diver.net

Re: Re: slight rust in steel tank - slight tumble needed

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on August 13, 2008 at 09:59:30:

In Reply to: Re: slight rust in steel tank - slight tumble needed posted by Ken Kurtis on August 13, 2008 at 09:32:45:

I agree with Ken that you should take your tank to someone who actually has a clue unlike the Bozo at your local Sport Chalet.

However for very light corrosion, some shops have wire whips that will easily remove it without a tumble. Thus a tumble is not always needed. Some shops don't have whips, or personal who know how to use them and send all the tanks for tumbles. It depends on the shop. However if there is any more than a few small rust spots it is beyond what a whip can handle and a tumble is in order.
I have my own set of tank whips that I use as needed. I inspect my tanks after boat dives because some water often works it's way in. I also have a tank inspection light I made from a piece of light rope. A quick cleaning with the wire whip before much rust forms saves the expense of a tumble and minimizes the damage from the corrosion.

Ken is also correct that if the rust is left in place it will form pits that can permanently damage tank and cause it to be condemned.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to