diver.net

Sunday afternoon dives on Wreck Alley - San Diego...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian on August 18, 2008 at 15:43:46:

Laura and I did two superb dives on Wreck Alley this afternoon. The first dive was from the bow mooring on the Yukon. The second dive was from the bow mooring on the Ruby E.

Vis was in the 15 to 20 foot range with a lot of particulate matter in the water – clearly the local whale population is suffering from serious allergies.

Temps were 61ºF and 55ºF, respectively, although I have significant doubts about that recorded 61ºF.

Sightings on the Yukon: Triopha catalinae (Clown Dorid) [first for Laura and me], Hermissenda crassicornis (Horned Aeolid), Peltodoris nobilis (Noble Dorid), fields of Corynactis californica (Club-Tipped Anemones) and, of course, Metridium farcimen (White-Plummed Anemone).

Sightings on the Ruby E: Dorisopsilla albopunctata (White Spotted Dorid), Tritonia Festiva (Festive Tritonid) [another first for Laura and me], Diaulula sandiegensis (San Diego Dorid), Hermissenda crassicornis (Horned Aeolid), Flabelina iodinea (Spanish Shawl), more fields of Corynactis californica. We also noticed that there were small mounds of Corynactis surrounding single Megabalanus californicus (California Barnacle). We watched the delicate arms swaying in the current catching a late lunch or an early dinner. The grace of the feeding arm belies the tank-like armor of the shell.

All in all, it was a superb pair of dives with my favorite dive partner – my wife. Jack and Karma: thanks for a superb afternoon and a great lunch! I hope you both enjoy the Mazanita Sols. I sure do!

On our dive on the Yukon, this was the first time I ventured over to swim down the starboard side rather than along the tilted deck. I noticed that along the starboard, from roughly the ceiling level of Deck 4 toward the keel, the hull is covered with a whitish paint that appears to be some sort of epoxy. Question: is this the old anti-fouling paint? If so, its still working very well. Anyone know the brand and type of paint? Even the algae and detritus seem to be having a hard time sticking to this surface.

I cleaned a 6"-long Shimano lure from the starboard side near port 4S2. Yet another lure for my growing collection.

I also managed to find a new-style Sea Quest weight pouch (Balance and ProQD BC styles). It's only been on the Yukon for a week at absolute most. What was inside the pouch was rather unique. If you can identify it, contact me off-line to claim it. We can make arrangements to get it back to you.

Sorry, no pictures from today. I'm going to have to order a pair of chargers and rechargeable CR-5 batteries for our cameras. I'm getting tired of not having pictures of all these great nudis we've been finding lately.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to