diver.net

Quick Trip Report - 09_01_08 - Star of Scotland

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on September 01, 2008 at 22:07:48:

Paul, Dr. John and I took the holiday opportunity to head out on the Kate and check out some of the excellent visibility reported in the bay.

Despite the holiday, the ramp was wide open with no waiting to launch. Punching up the GPS number for our first dive – the Star of Scotland – showed that fun and excitement was just 4.09 n.m. away. Of course that would be a straight line distance – it is a bit farther if you follow the main channel and a lot easier on the boat.

The day was overcast with calm seas and a gentle off shore wind from the east. Conditions on the wreck were not bad. The top 30-feet was warm – 60-62-degrees – with vis about 10-feet. At about 40-feet temperature dropped to 56-degrees and vis opened up to a soupy 20-25-feet. Just fine for the Star.

For the first dive, I dropped down to check out the tile floor area and found the locals using it as a dance floor or racetrack.

The rest of the first dive was spent examining the midships area collapse and trying to figure out what moved where.

The second dive had conditions similar to the first. I spent the time admiring the colors and density of Corynactis plastered all over the wreck. In a moment of weakness I actually shot a picture of a sea slug – what was I thinking?

Then the day got interesting. On the swim back to the anchor line, I came across one of the local GBS about 150 pounds, just chillin’ on the aft deck. He/she was very mellow and let me get a couple of exposures before his/her big brother cruised by – 300-pounds of Giant Black Sea Bass – and spooked the smaller one off out of sight - Just awesome!

Stay wet.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.