diver.net

Re: Ear Squeeze

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Diver Z on September 28, 2008 at 17:50:31:

In Reply to: Ear Squeeze and DnS 1999 shirt posted by jp on September 28, 2008 at 16:48:30:

Instead of Sudafed (which being in your bloodstream raises heartrate), I prefer to use Afrin spray (topical decongestant) a couple of hours before diving if I'm having problems. I just use it occasionally, though -- if used more than three days in a row it can create a nasty rebound effect.

Some people I know also use non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) to keep down nasal tissue swelling.

Others use antihistamines -- either pill (a nondrowsy one like Allegra), or a few have tried antihistamine spray (Astelin).

Apart from that, the most important thing to remember is, "Clear early and often." Like before you think you even need to clear -- by the time your ears hurt, it may be too late. (But you can always reascend a few feet and do it over.)

If the ear drops you're referring to go in your ears from the outside, they'll help with external infections (otitis externa, or swimmer's ear) but wouldn't help with eustachian tubes or clearing -- all of that hardware is on the inside of your eardrum.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to