diver.net

Vulcania Submarine checking in...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat Regan on October 14, 2008 at 03:20:07:

Hey!

Saw your BBS and thought I'd check in. Been living in Hawaii the past 15 years, but I'm California born and raised. Made my first SCUBA dive on a DA / 72 at Monastery Beach in 1966.

Like a lot of Baby-Boomers, I became interested in diving as a young boy when I first saw Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea back in 1954. Sparked an interest that's stayed with me all my life. I'd guess a lot of you could say the same thing.

Back in the 1970's and 80's I got into experimenting with underwater technologies, and in 1991 I launched a submarine of Disney Nautilus configuration: the Nautilus Minisub.

After moving to Hawaii, I got into building functional replicas of the diving gear seen in the movie. Been doing that for about five years, and most recently I restored an actual helmet that came from Disney. It passed its first pool dive test yesterday, in fact. Here's a look at that:

If anyone is interested, I have a website called Vulcania Submarine. Not commercial; not selling anything; no discussion group; no political agenda of any kind. Just a site about underwater tech as it relates to Disney's 20,000 Leagues, and only for education and enjoyment purposes. Here's a preview of what's there:

As a diver, I'm interested in just about everything: hardhats, vintage and modern SCUBA, U/W photography and video, spearfishing, manned submersibles, ROV's, etc.

Everyone's invited to drop by my website and read what's there. I'll try to drop by here to see what's going on as work permits. I can also be reached by email through my website.

Very Best Regards,

Pat Regan

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to