diver.net

Better dive today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on October 26, 2008 at 17:31:30:

Merry and I went on a scientific expedition to Redondo Canyon today. Merry is assisting Leslie Harris of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History in a study of Capitella hermaphrodita, the red lug worms found in squid egg cases. While searching for eggs, Merry spotted movement ahead. There were three mackerel caught on a lure with multiple hooks. We freed them and they swam off, not even bothering to look back and thank us.
We collected samples, including a core sample of the surrounding silt and then spent the remainder of the dive looking for nudibranchs. We found a few Rictaxis punctocaelatus, spotted Rictaxis crawling through the muck.
Photobucket

Merry spotted a nudibranch which we each thought was a dark Polycera atra. I took several shots, then found another. After downloading my camera we discovered them to be Polycera hedgpethi, my first sighting of them! I get excited over little things.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In a clump of red algae I found a stiletto shrimp, Heptacarpus stylus.
Photobucket

Photobucket

There were scattered clumps of squid eggs from deep in the canyon to as shallow as twenty-five feet. Many of the egg cases have been gnawed upon by Sheepcrabs and other predators. A tiny sanddab used one as a good spot to rest.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As we reached the shallow water and prepared to surface a school of smelt began circling us. It was a nice way to end the dive.
Photobucket
Visibility ranged from twenty feet in the shallows to five feet in the canyon. The water was 56F below the thermocline at sixty feet.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to