diver.net

3 HD Scuba Diving Videos Shot in Anilao, Philippines

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on November 02, 2008 at 10:28:54:

This is an HD video we shot and produced in Anilao, Philippines as part of a review we did for our ScubaMagazine.net Photo, Video, Travel & Dive Discussion Community while diving at a resort called Planet Dive.

On this assignment I was met by a Philippines television station and their film crew who interviewed me, followed me around on 2 dives and used some of the footage in theses videos, all of which was aired on a nature show in the Philippines.

Although I find wild macro subjects at every Philippines dive destination I travel to, Anilao certainly lived up to its reputation amongst local photographers as the Philippines version of the Lembeh Straits, as this entire 20 minute HD video was shot over the course of just 1 week of 3-4 dives a day, not cherry-picked footage shot over months or years.

There are some studies that show that cuttlefish instantly recognize prey to be eaten upon birth. When you see the footage of cuttlefish eggs in this series, you will know why they are already conditioned. My favorite clip though is the tiny bobtail squid. Thank goodness for achromatic diopters!

As to the tin can with the pufferfish in it, the lid was far more closed when I ran into it. I carried it for 5 minutes that way looking for my 2nd cameraman to hand to him with the lid closed to surprise him, but I couldn't find him, so I gently evicted the pufferfish and permanently removed the can lid, then deformed the can a little so it could be a home but not a tomb.

Speaking of wild subjects, I just returned from an HD video shoot on Panglao island in Bohol, Philippines where I got some interesting footage of two small decorator crabs. I noticed one had become entangled in a piece of dead seafan that was stuck on top of it so I tried for a bit to gently remove it. I was having luck freeing it when all of a sudden the now free crab started yanking back on it, it slipped out of my hands and right back over the top of the crab it went. I noticed it rapidly hooking it symmetrically with both rear small legs and ran off that way. Then I noticed the 2nd one also was holding another seafan piece identically. At that point I realized I was an idiot and the crabs were deliberately holding those over their bodies like an aquatic gladiator shield. I have never seen that behavior before and it is hilarious.

We may be putting together an HD Multimedia Dive Travel presentation for upcoming dive shows so I will keep you posted, and we have created a channel/group by the way for all to upload and share their HD dive videos to:

HD Dive Videos

Anyway, here are the HD videos split in 3 parts because the files are in the 200-250 mb range even though highly compressed from the original footage, so it is best to let it start playing, stop it, let it buffer all the way, then click play again.

HD, Scuba Diving in Anilao, Philippines with Planet Dive, Part 1 from ScubaMagazine.net

HD, Scuba Diving in Anilao, Philippines with Planet Dive, Part 2 from ScubaMagazine.net

HD, Scuba Diving in Anilao, Philippines with Planet Dive, Part 3 from ScubaMagazine.net

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to