diver.net

Re: Re: More MLPA Stakeholders named

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 19, 2008 at 13:51:40:

In Reply to: Re: More MLPA Stakeholders named posted by Peter on November 18, 2008 at 21:24:41:

"Recreational Scuba divers seem under represented as stakeholders."

What stinks about all of this is how people sit on their hands and then complain that they don't like the result. This is not directed at your personally, Peter or Elaine, but it's very frustrating for those of us who HAVE been involved in the MLPA process for years.

How many of you applied to be a member of the RSG? (The ntoice to apply was posted to this website.) How many of you have shown up at a public meeting to get your voice heard? (meeting ntoices ahve ben posted here too.) How many of you have submitted written comments?

I've been a member of the Statewide Interests Group (SIG) in the MLPA process for about the last 4 years. Part of my charge is to represent the views of the scuba diving community, especially the non-consumptive and the retail side.

But you know what happens when I send out e-mails or make postings asking for comments and opinions? I get no response. The silence of the diving community as a whole is deafening and damaging. We can't sit here and claim to have a stake in the process if we refuse to expend some effort to get involved.

When this all first started, I personally arranged for a private meetng with the Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) and the diving community. Every local dive boat was invited, as were a number of clubs, and some prominent individuals. The meeting took place at the Aquarium of the Pacific. Probably 20 people were directly contacted by me, said they were interested, and would try to attend.

You know how many showed up? Two. And one of them I shanghaied at AOP when it seemed there would only be one person there.

As a community, divers have not shown an interest in being all that involved in the MLPA process so don't be surprised when our seats at the table are given away to someone else.

I originally applied to be a member of the RSG but had to withdraw my name after my mom died as I simply wasn't going to have the time. I assume I'll continue to be a member of the SIG. But the level of commitment and the seeming lack of interest in getting involved amongst divers, both recreational and professional, is simply appalling.

- Ken
--------------------
Ken Kurtis
Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black