diver.net

Part of the problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on November 20, 2008 at 00:18:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: More MLPA Stakeholders named posted by Ken Kurtis on November 19, 2008 at 13:51:40:

At least as I see it is that recreational scuba divers usually need some degree of affluence to afford the sport, ie: jobs. The kinds of jobs that support our diving habits tend to be demanding and time consumptive. The jobs take our best and toss what is left of us out into the world to recuperate - and - this cycle is repeated on a weekly basis.

-Commercial fishermen - that is their business so of course they are going to get out there and defend it.
-Recreational fishermen - I don't think of fishing as a particularly expensive or demanding sport in comparison to diving. They relax while fishing so much so that they have plenty of energy left to fight for what they want.

Divers are the work hard play hard group. If the MLPS held their meetings on dive boats during surface intervals they probably couldn't shut us up. Their meetings are not structured so that it is easy for busy professional people to attend them. I don't think that you can lay the blame completely on the dive community - we are a different type of group than what they are set up for. If part of the process were email groups, or something that fits in with the busy lifestyle of the 21st century I think they would get a lot more input and participation. Most people can't cut work to go the the meetings - me included. An 8 hour day with 1 hour lunch breaks is often not how divers live, 12 hour days with 20 minute lunches is my norm.

That is how I see it - you may or may not agree.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to