diver.net

Mudville 2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 20, 2008 at 15:57:55:

The recent rain hasn't messed things up at Marineland, at least below water. The lower half of the trail was a bit muddy, making it difficult to pull the Bottomtime Buggy, despite its knobby tires. Tomorrow should be better.
There were no waves to speak of and entry was a breeze over the gravel exposed at low tide. Merry and I fed Abby, then slowly morphed our way along the reef. I found a Cuthona divae. It's the first one I've seen here other than at the point. I later found a Limacia cockerelli, another rare nudi for Cobble Beach.
Merry spotted three cormorants under water, including one that came up to check her out.
Schools of juvenile Blacksmith darted about the rocks while juvenile Senoritas cruised through the thick kelp.
After going back to feed Abby a second time I took one more picture. When I got home I noticed a tiny flatworm, Prostheceraeus bellostriatus. I wish I would have noticed it while I was there with a camera.
I surfaced in three feet right at my exit point. Evil Jeff and Good Sue were on the rocks watching me. As I waved, the gravel slipped out from under me and I fell to my knees. Even in flat conditions, Marineland is dangerous!
Visibility at Cobble Beach was 12-15 feet with 56F water.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket