diver.net

Re: Golden Doubloon no longer with us

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott S. on January 10, 2009 at 15:59:45:

In Reply to: Golden Doubloon no longer with us posted by Max Bottomtime on January 09, 2009 at 17:48:29:

I took my first boat trip on the GD when I was 12 years old in 1967. I was a member of the dive club at the Bottom Shop (now Sea D Sea). A guy named Dick Pasker owned the shop with another guy who's name escapes me. It was an overnight trip to Catalina, I didn't get my certification until 1969 so I just snorkeled, it was the experience of my life back then! We dove Indian rock and a few areas on the backside (can't remember where!) and spent the night in Cat Harbor. I remember going snorkeling in cat harbor and getting my limit of Abalone in 6 feet of water!!! Eddie let my friend and I sleep in the wheelhouse probably because of all the drinking and gambling that was going on in the saloon that night. Going over and back to the island Eddie the skipper would stop the boat every time he saw a blue shark (there were a lot of them in the channel in those days)and take a pot shot at them with a rifle. I guess he considered sharks evil. Sorry to see the old Gal go,,

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to