diver.net

Re: Re: Golden Doubloon no longer with us

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bajahaha on January 10, 2009 at 16:38:19:

In Reply to: Re: Golden Doubloon no longer with us posted by Scott S. on January 10, 2009 at 15:59:45:

Posted by Scott S. on January 10, 2009 at 15:59:45:
In Reply to: Golden Doubloon no longer with us posted by Max Bottom time on January 09, 2009 at 17:48:29:

"I took my first boat trip on the GD when I was 12 years old in 1967. I was a member of the dive club at the Bottom Shop (now Sea D Sea). A guy named Dick Pasker owned the shop with another guy who's name escapes me......"

I knew and recall Dick very well, he was a product of the LA County programs, quite humorous with a infectious smile. He owned the shop for only a few years; his wife contracted cancer and passed away. A short time later the shop was sold to Barry and Dick acquired a position on the east coast, as I recall it was in New Jersey and totally dropped out of the diving world. I also am having difficulty recalling his partner's name

"....Going over and back to the island Eddie the skipper would stop the boat every time he saw a blue shark (there were a lot of them in the channel in those days)and take a pot shot at them with a rifle. I guess he considered sharks evil. ...."

That rifle was so old, so rusty, so inaccurate that it was more of a danger to the people on the boat than a threat to the sharks.

Do you recall the acres and acres of scares on Eddie's body? He was wounded numerous times as a member of the famed and much decorated 442 Nesi regimental combat team in WW11. He was certainly one of a kind!

zX

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.