diver.net

Net Removal, the Nuts and Bolts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Divebum Don on January 13, 2009 at 13:38:18:

In Reply to: More "net" loss posted by Divebum Don on January 10, 2009 at 22:34:52:

First off I know this IS a commercial diving job. Commercial divers with all the right stuff would make short order of this task safely. Lift bags maybe? but more like bundle and hoist. The problem is there's no real funding for this type of humane recovery work (except for a small group out of UC Davis whom I've worked with before, but they are hard to get onsite)

The Catalina Island tech teams headed up these dives and did ALL the hard work, hoods off to them, they kicked ass! Jason Manix, Bob Kennedy, Cinde MacGugan, Donny Neel, Paul Thatreau, "Izzy", and David Jordan were all geared up and well trained for deep diving. There were no RB's on board. Most the doubles tech kits were filled with a Nitrox blend of about 25% with 50/50 Deco bottles and a 100% 02 Cyl. for the last 10ft only. Some dove air, with a 50/50 Deco Cyl. and a bailout bottle. Bottom times were 15 to 25+ minutes with 20++ minutes of deco. If you want to argue or discuss bends call Bob, Haaa! 2 hang bottles were deployed with multi 2nd stages and air only, these got used. A few of us, dove straight Rec profiles on air with bailouts. Sorry, but nobody dove any N2O, Haa! I loved that! The Times photog guy was a diver, onboard all day Sunday and couldn't get Nitrox right :~) The Harbor Department's William Slickenger provided excellent chase boat and second vessel assistance. Thanks also to diver (Musical)Mike D. from Trident for suppling shears, safe cutters and slates.

The main Times photo with Jason was staged, he was wearing the LA Times photographers kit and did a surface swim with a control bag and net. Catalina Divers Supply also provided an apartment Island side for 4 of us, Thanks Cinde! and "Dinghy Docks" in Avalon provided food and beverages for the teams, Thank You too.

There will be a pro video produced with top and bottom side to help show the whole story. Thanks Ron Moore and Bert Skura for the deep footage. Numerous trips will be made back on site to clear this new reef of it's deadly net canopy. Can't wait!

Ocean Defenders Alliance and Kurt Leiber have been doing this type of work for many years, just not THIS deep. It seems there is nobody responsible for open ocean dumping. What the heck?? Anyway, we at ODA NEED your help today, this is a non profit, grass roots organization committed to clearing our oceans and offshore neighborhoods of deadly left over, out of site and out of mind JUNK! I don't want this crap on my underwater trails system. Can you imagine walking through Griffith Park and seeing a garbage truck abandoned with dead animals all around? it's sickening.

Can you please help by making a generous donation to ODA today. Kurt and a few key donars keep ODA afloat, but times are tough and funds are tight. Monthly slip fees for the "Clearwater" and operational expenses stretch this group to the Max. There is a fund raising event scheduled at Cabrillo Aquarium this Spring, but today we need YOUR help please.

Thanks,
Don Robarge
Dive Team Coordinator, ODA

PS, don't bother asking for the numbers (GPS) for now ;~) thanks.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to