diver.net

You try it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 15, 2009 at 09:55:58:

In Reply to: Re: Mel's been picking on the big bugs again posted by Why on January 14, 2009 at 23:23:38:

Ya know, you got me to think about this again. As something of a trophy hunter myself,
(and being way to introspective for anyone's mental health) I've sometimes asked
myself about photographing game rather than taking it. Sure, I love preparing the
exotic dishes you can with wild game and I love the get togethers that I tend to
arrange with family and friends to enjoy the dishes. Still, aside from that I am
extremely concious of the environment. If I thought that to preserve the ecology, it
was important not to hunt, I wouldn't. The food isn't that important. I am sure that
it would be (mostly) better for the ecology if no one hunted or fished, but that
doesn't seem practical. We too are animals in nature. Really, as it is with just
about every thing human, we need to strike a balance.
Still, why hunt? Why not take a picture instead? We hunt for a number of reasons, but
it almost always comes down to the challenge and excitement. Hunting is in human genes.
We were designed for it. When we hunt, our senses reach their highest level of
sensitivity. Every sign from the environment is read and evaluated for a trail to
our game. Hunters love the long fast swims over the open areas looking for any
habitat in the gloom. Hunters glide along the thick growth of the shallow reefs,
searching in a complex labrinthe of rocky crevasses hidden within a thick moving
golden kelp garden. They all act as any predator to find and strike at their prey
before it is wary and disappears. Often times it turns into battle to catch or to
escape... depending on your side of the battle. At that point, the lobster often
wins. All hunters know the how long it took to develop their skills. All hunters
know that each hunt will be a challenge that will take all their alertness, stamina
and skill for success. Mel is good enough to make it easy.
I'm sorry, but compare the two. I love photography, but seriously, is photography
anywhere near that exciting?
Think about the gulf for a hunter between I almost got it and it's in the bag. It can
be 1/100th of a second or a 1/10th of an inch. Taking a picture just doesn't present
the challenge. Lobsters are not going to go the way of the Dodo any time soon. Worry
about warm water if you want something to worry about in the ecology.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.