diver.net

Response to PETA

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on January 27, 2009 at 11:07:16:

In Reply to: Toooo Far, By Far... posted by Patrick on January 27, 2009 at 09:03:29:

I just sent the following e-mail to PETA. I would also urge you to send something similar if you agree:
-------------------------------------------------
You have GOT to be kidding.

I don't always agree with PETA but I think the organization at least has some respect and gravitas for the work you do. However, this "Sea Kitten" campaign will make you a laughingstock.

You should know that I am a non-consumptive scuba diver. (I also happen to work in the media.) I work very hard on numerous conservation causes including implementation of the MLPA here in California. I'm rather insulted by the tone of your campaign.

You mention - tongue-in-cheek - how fish ought to fire their PR person. Well, maybe you should take you own advice and fire the idiot who thought up this campaign as well as anyone involved in pushing it forward.

There are REAL issues that we who believe in marine conservation grapple with every day. For you to trivialize the struggle with the invention of something as insipid as "Sea Kittens" is simply beyond belief.

It's also misrepresentation. Your charactarization shows a complete lack of appreciation or understanding for the creatures of the ocean for whom you profess to share a concern.

To those of us who dive, fish aren't the slimy, face-biting creatures you make them out to be. They are beautiful animals who exist in what is to us an alien environment and the fact that they are frequently as curious as us as we are about them only adds to the allure of diving.

There are real problems to solve in the ocean. There are real threats these animals face from humans and from the changing ocean environment. For you cutsey it up doesn't so anyone any good.

You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

I truly hope you'll rethink this juvenille and moronic campaign. if you really want to help the animals, figure out a message that has a ring of truth to it. Gimmicks won't cut it with those of you who truly care.

- Ken
-----------------
Ken Kurtis
NAUI Scuba Instructor
Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: